From social media to search ads and beyond, effective display ad design is essential for capturing the attention of your target audience. Over the years, some best practices have emerged that can help you create effective display ads and maximize their impact.
Display ads design has long been an important part of digital marketing, and it continues to be a great way to reach potential customers. All best practices for display ads require attention to detail and creative inspiration, but when it comes to banner ad best practices especially, there are a few key elements to keep in mind.
1. Use an Eye-Catching Image: A compelling image can help your ad stand out from the competition, and it’s worth investing time to find or create the right one. Make sure the image is of high quality, relevant to your message, and appropriate for the audience you’re targeting.
It’s important that your ad has an eye-catching headline and appealing visuals. The imagery should be relevant to the message you want to convey, and its colors should contrast with the background for maximum impact. A captivating tagline or slogan is also important - one that is short, sweet, and to the point.
2. Keep it Simple: Don’t try to cram too much into the ad space. Stick with a minimal design that uses simple fonts in an easy-to-read format. Too many words or complicated elements can make it difficult for viewers to understand the message.
3. Include a Call to Action: A strong call to action is essential for encouraging viewers to take action after viewing your ad. Make sure it’s clear and concise so people know what they need to do next. Include an incentive like a discount code or free trial offer if possible, as this will further motivate them to act quickly.
Your call to action should also be highly visible in order to motivate your target audience to take the desired action, such as visiting a website or signing up for an email list. Use strong verbs like “click” or “download” that convey urgency and encourage people to take action.
4. Test Different Variations: To get the most out of your ads, it’s important to test different versions and see which resonates best with viewers. Try changing up the images, text, colors, and other elements of the ad to see what works best for your audience.
5. Monitor Performance: Pay attention to how your ads perform over time. Analyze click-through rates, conversions, and other metrics, as they can give valuable insight into which designs are working best or need improvement. With this information in hand, you can continue refining your display ad design strategy for maximum impact.
6. Fully Optimized : Make sure your display ad design is optimized for all types of devices including desktop, laptop, tablets, and smartphones. Ensure that the visuals are crisp and clear, that the text is easy to read on smaller screens, and that any clickable elements are clearly visible.
7. All Formats: Creating multiple formats for your display ads is also an effective tactic. You can test different sizes and shapes to see which ones perform best, as well as experiment with different types of animation or interactive elements to make the ad stand out.
8. Just a Hint: Adding your logo and a touch of branding can also help make your ad more memorable. This is especially true for retargeted ads, which are intended to remind customers about your brand and increase the likelihood of them taking action.
9. All About Your Value Proposition: Your value proposition is also critical. Make sure that your ad clearly communicates the value of your product or service, what makes it unique, and how it can solve a problem for your target audience.
10. Grid It Out: People tend to be drawn to images in frames or that use a grid layout. These can be great ways to draw the eye and make your ad more aesthetically pleasing.
11. Mind The Font: Fonts have to be chosen carefully to ensure that they are legible and appropriate for the tone of your ad. Avoid using too many different fonts, as this can make your design look cluttered and overwhelming.
12. Test & Test Some More: Finally, be sure to test different versions of your display ad design before launching it. This will allow you to see how people respond to different elements and tweak them to the best results.
With so many things to consider, it pays to test and measure the performance of your ads over time. Doing so will help you create a winning display ad design that will reach more people and drive more conversions.
These tips are just the beginning when it comes to crafting an effective display ad design. Choosing strong imagery, emphasizing the value proposition, and testing different variations are all key steps that should not be overlooked. With a bit of experimentation, you can create an ad design strategy sure to captivate your audience and make them take action.
13. Keep your Landing Page and Design in Line With Your Brand Specifications: Coherence between your landing page and display ad design is important for providing a seamless user experience. Make sure to keep your brand colors, font choices, logos, and other visual elements consistent across both the ad and the landing page that it leads to. This will ensure that customers can quickly and easily recognize your brand when they visit either one.
14. Emphasize Urgency: A sense of urgency can effectively convert customers. This could be done by using phrases like “Hurry!” or “Limited Time Offer” to create a heightened emotional response in viewers and encourage them to act quickly.
15. Static & Animated For Best ROI: Consider creating both static and animated versions of the same ad to get the best results. This will allow you to test and compare different performance metrics such as CTR, view-through rates, and conversions over time.
16. Careful With Text: Too much informative text may not be read, especially on smaller screens. Instead, keep the text concise to make sure that it is easily digestible and quickly understood. It's also important to ensure that all elements of the ad are balanced out – don't forget about whitespace!
Color is a powerful tool for catching people’s attention and conveying brand identity. Choose colors that are in line with your branding and that contrast well with the background to make sure your text is legible. Test different color combinations to see which ones draw viewers in the most.
17. Minimizing Loading Times: The longer it takes your ad to load, the more likely people are going to lose interest and move on. Make sure that all the images used in your ad are optimized for web, as this will help ensure fast loading times and make your design look just as good on screen as it does in Photoshop.
18. Test and Measure Constantly: The best way to get the most out of your display ad design is by testing different variations of it constantly and measuring the results. Experimenting with different colors, images, copy, and layouts can help you determine what works best for your specific audience. This will allow you to refine your overall strategy and create the most effective ads possible.
19. Track Conversions: Once you have created a display ad design that resonates with viewers, it's time to track its performance. Use Google Ads or other tracking tools to monitor metrics such as click-through rate (CTR), cost per click (CPC), and conversions. This will help you optimize your ad campaigns and get the most out of your budget.
20. Identify Your Target Audience: Knowing who your target audience is before creating a display ad design can go a long way in ensuring its success. Understand their interests, needs, and pain points so that you can create an effective advertisement that speaks directly to them. Keep in mind that different audiences may respond differently to various messages and visuals, so it's important to do your research beforehand.
21. Relevancy Is Key: The key to an effective display ad design is relevancy. Make sure that your message and visuals are relevant to the audience you're targeting, as this will help ensure that they respond positively to your ad.
Ads can be a powerful tool for driving traffic and conversions, but only if they are designed correctly. To maximize the effectiveness of your banner ads and retargeting campaigns, creating visually appealing ad designs that are relevant to your target audience and optimized for fast loading times is important.
Additionally, it’s essential to track the performance of ads and retargeting campaigns to understand which design elements resonate the most with viewers. By following these guidelines, you’ll be able to maximize your ROI on display advertising and create effective ads that truly engage your audience.
These display advertising tips can help you create an effective display ad design that will grab people’s attention, communicate the value of what you offer, and motivate them to take action. With a little trial and error, you can find the perfect combination of visuals and copy to maximize conversions on any platform. Good luck!
At Veza Digital, we understand the power of display advertising and have extensive experience in creating effective ad campaigns. We are a full-service digital marketing agency with the knowledge and resources to create targeted ads that reach your desired audience. From creative design to media buying, we can help you create an effective display ad strategy for any platform. Contact us today to learn more.
Display Ad Design Best Practices
Web Design Trends To Watch For In 2023